- Best homeowners insurance companies
- Best home insurance companies
- Best homeowner’s insurance summary
- FAQs about homeowners insurance
- Why should you have homeowners insurance?
- The bottom line
Best homeowners insurance companies
|Insurance Carrier||Best for|
|State Farm||Local agents|
|Travelers||Green home discounts|
|Auto-Owners||Extra coverage options such as appliance leaks|
|Lemonade||Tech-focused with emphasis on giving to charity|
|USAA||Insurance for active military and veterans|
|Liberty Mutual||Inflation protection|
|The Hartford||Age 50 plus|
Best home insurance companies
- New Mexico
- South Carolina
Best homeowner’s insurance summary
|Insurer||Discounts||Customer service||Available nationwide||Bundle policies|
|Lemonade||Yes||Not ranked||No||Only renters insurance or pet insurance|
|Amica||Yes||Above average||All states except Hawaii||Yes|
|Liberty Mutual||Yes||Below average||Yes||Yes|
|The Hartford||Yes||Above average||No||Yes|
FAQs about homeowners insurance
Why should you have homeowners insurance?
- Your mortgage lender probably requires it: It’s unlikely your lender will extend the funds to buy your house without seeing proof of your homeowners' insurance — it’s their protection. If you cancel or change your policy at any time, your insurer will likely immediately notified your mortgage lender.
- Extended coverage can keep you out of financial trouble: It could be tempting to go with the minimum amount of insurance needed to reduce your monthly premiums, but you should always be thinking about how you would pay for repairs or replacements in an emergency. If you have a large emergency fund, this might be less of a concern. But if the cost of repairing your roof, buying a new washing machine, or fixing flood damage could be challenging for you to pay for without debt, it’s wise to find an insurance policy that covers these possible occurrences.
- Coverage for your liability: Many homeowners' policies also cover your personal liability if someone is at your house and gets injured. This could cover scenarios like dog bites or injuries like someone falling down the stairs in your home. If you are sued for medical bills, having this liability coverage could be a major lifesaver for your finances.
The bottom line
Reclaim Up to $610/Year in Car Insurance
Here’s the thing: your current car insurance company is probably overcharging you. But, who has the time to look around for around a new company?
A website called CarInsurance.net makes it super easy to see if you’re getting the lowest price. All you have to do is enter your ZIP code and your age, and it’ll show you your options.
Using CarInsurance.net, people have saved up to $610 a year.
It takes just a few minutes to see how much CarInsurance.net could put back in your pocket. And the best part? Because we’re driving less, some insurers are slashing prices this month.