Betterment Review – Helping You Invest Better
- What is Betterment?
- How does Betterment work?
- The bottom line
What is Betterment?
How does Betterment work?
How much does Betterment cost?
Betterment Premium plan
Getting Started package
Tax Coordinated Portfolio
Tax Los Harvesting
Assets and Allocations
- Betterment Core Portfolio. The standard portfolio provided by Betterment uses a mix of ETFs and bonds personalized for your goals and risk tolerance.
- BlackRock Target Income Portfolio. This portfolio is made up of only bond funds to generate income with low-risk.
- Goldman Sachs Smart Beta Portfolio. This portfolio invests in companies that are deemed low volatility and high quality to provide better returns.
- Socially Responsible (SRI) Portfolio. This portfolio invests in companies that have a positive impact on the environment and social economics for socially responsible investing.
- Flexible Portfolio. You can elect to create your own portfolio with the help of Betterment for advice.
Who is Betterment best for?
People who aren’t sure what their goals are
Who shouldn’t use Betterment?
Pros & cons
Additional cost for human support
Betterment vs. competitors
|Company||Starting plan stats||Premium plan stats|
|Betterment||$0 minimum account balance, 0.25% annual management fee||$100k minimum account balance, 0.40% annual fee|
|Charles Schwab||$5,000 minimum account balance||$25k minimum account balance, $300 planning fee, $30/mo advisory fee|
|Fidelity||$0 account minimum, $0 to 0.35% annually fee||$25k minimum account balance, 0.50% advisory fee|
|Wealthfront||$500 minimum account balance, 0.25% annual fee||$500 minimum account balance, 0.25% annual fee|
- If your balance is less than $10,000, you’ll pay $0.
- If your balance is between $10,000 and $49,000, you’ll pay $3 monthly/
- If your balance is $50,000 or above, you’ll pay 0.35% annually.
Who can use Betterment?
Is Betterment a fiduciary?
The bottom line
Are You Ready for Retirement? Answer These 20 Questions
Take this quiz from SmartAsset and calculate your time to retirement. Their free tool helps match the right financial advisor for your retirement goals in just 5 minutes. Every advisor is carefully screened before being added to SmartAsset's network. Learn more and get paired with local financial advisors in your area. Get started now.
Take Your Investing To The Next Level
|Name||Motley Fool||Stash Invest||Wealthfront|
|Description||Motley Fool's stock picks have averaged returns of 588% (vs 119% for the S&P). Get your 50% discount for new members.||Start investing with as little as $1 and purchase fractional shares of stock. Get $5 from Stash to make your first investment.||Get a personalized portfolio of diversified, low-cost stocks on autopilot — in minutes. It’s the time-tested way to build long-term wealth.|