Types of food that can be “in-season”
| Apricots | Yes | Yes | No | No |
Where to get your seasonal produce
Community Supported Agriculture (CSA)
Online subscription boxes
The costs of buying in-season produce
To buy in season, you can:
- Keep an eye on your grocery store’s sales flyer and add the produce that’s in-season and on sale to your shopping list.
- Sign up for a CSA or produce delivery box. Even though the upfront cost for a CSA box is higher, the cost of your groceries will often be lower in the long run than if you had purchased from a grocery store.
- Visit your local farmer’s market weekly and focus your seasonal eating based on what the farmers are offering.
- Purchasing seasonal produce is a great method if your focus is on saving money.
- Fresh fruits and veggies are often of a higher quality when they’re in-season. If you purchase produce when it’s not in-season, the produce may have been frozen or otherwise preserved in a way that could have reduced its quality.
- By purchasing your produce from CSAs or farmer’s markets, you know that you’re supporting your local farmers directly.
- Signing up for a CSA or other subscription can help you keep a consistent food budget.
- Buying produce that’s in-season or signing up for a CSA can leave you with new-to-you produce. This is a great opportunity to get creative with your DIY recipes and try new foods.
- If you don’t like most types of produce or don’t want to try new foods, signing up for a CSA or other service in which you won’t get to choose your items may not be a good fit for you.
- Buying in-season can make your food budget and weekly plan a little less predictable. If a crop has a bad year, the costs might not be what you expected.
- If you prefer to purchase at a grocery store, you’ll have to take the time to see what’s in-season and on sale each week. This can make meal planning and prepping more difficult if you’re the type of person that likes to plan their meals further in advance.
The bottom line
Reclaim Up to $610/Year in Car Insurance
Here’s the thing: your current car insurance company is probably overcharging you. But, who has the time to look around for around a new company?
A website called CarInsurance.net makes it super easy to see if you’re getting the lowest price. All you have to do is enter your ZIP code and your age, and it’ll show you your options.
Using CarInsurance.net, people have saved up to $610 a year.
It takes just a few minutes to see how much CarInsurance.net could put back in your pocket. And the best part? Because we’re driving less, some insurers are slashing prices this month.