How to Submit an Auto Insurance Claim
- Types of auto insurance claims
- Steps to filing an auto insurance claim
- If you are not happy with the resolution, you can appeal
- Bottom line
Types of auto insurance claims
Property damage claim
Bodily injury claim
Total loss claim
Steps to filing an auto insurance claim
Call the police and file a report
Determine who to file a claim with for damages or medical expenses
- In at-fault states: If you live in an at-fault state, you will file a claim with the insurance company of the driver who is responsible for the accident. If that is you, you will file with your insurance company. If it is the other driver, you will file with their insurance company.
- __In no-fault states: __If you live in a no-fault state, you will file a claim with your insurance company.
- No insurance or underinsured driver: You will file a claim with your insurance company.
- Single-car accident or damage from a non-collision event: If you have a car accident that involves just you — you reverse into your garage door — or sustains damage when you're not it – a tree branch falls on it, for example – you will file a claim with your insurance company.
Contact your insurance company
File your claim
- Your name and policy number
- The make, model, and year of the vehicle
- Location and time of the accident
- Description of accident
- Photos of the accident site and damage to your vehicle
- Name, phone number, and car insurance information for the other driver along with any other helpful additional information
- Name and contact information for any witnesses or others involved in the accident
- Police report
Talk or meet with the insurance adjuster
Get estimates for repairs
Receive your insurance payment
If you are not happy with the resolution, you can appeal
Reclaim Up to $610/Year in Car Insurance
Here’s the thing: your current car insurance company is probably overcharging you. But, who has the time to look around for around a new company?
A website called CarInsurance.net makes it super easy to see if you’re getting the lowest price. All you have to do is enter your ZIP code and your age, and it’ll show you your options.
Using CarInsurance.net, people have saved up to $610 a year.
It takes just a few minutes to see how much CarInsurance.net could put back in your pocket. And the best part? Because we’re driving less, some insurers are slashing prices this month.