National General Auto Insurance Review: Features, Pros & Cons, and Costs
- What is National General Insurance?
- National General coverage options for auto insurance
- How does National General work?
- How much does National General auto insurance cost?
- National General Features
- Who is National General best suited for?
- Who shouldn’t use National General?
- Pros & Cons
- National General vs. competitors
- The bottom line
What is National General Insurance?
National General coverage options for auto insurance
- Bodily injury liability
- Property damage liability
- Medical payments
- Uninsured and underinsured motorist
- Personal injury protection (PIP)
- Roadside assistance
- Accidental death and dismemberment (AD&D)
- Auto protection plan
How does National General work?
How much does National General auto insurance cost?
- Driving history
- Marital status
- Coverage options
- Amount of your deductible
- Paid-in-full — when you pay your annual premium upfront
- Multi-vehicle discount
- Safe-driver discount — if you complete a defensive driving course (only available in certain states)
- RVs and autos on one policy.
- Low mileage discount
- Affinity discounts — National General Insurance offers membership discounts for a wide variety of organizations.
- Multi-policy discount — bundling options with other offerings such as renters insurance
- Paperless — you can save if you switch to paperless statements.
- AutoPay - If you set up your payments to draft automatically
- GM/GMAC customer discount
- GM family first discount
- GM supplier discount
- Onstar subscriber
Examples of premium costs
- Bodily Injury: $25k/$50k
- Property Damage: $20k
- Uninsured Motorist Bodily Injury: $25k/$50k
- Bodily Injury: $100k/$300k
- Property Damage: $50k
- Uninsured Motorist Bodily Injury: $100k/$300k
- Collision Deductible: $1k
- Comprehensive Deductible: $1k
How can I get the lowest rate possible with National General car insurance?
- Raise your deductible. The higher your deductible (which is your out-of-pocket costs before any insurance kicks in), the lower your rates.
- Lower your coverage amounts. If it’s still too costly, look at where you can lower your coverage amounts while still meeting your state requirements for minimum coverage.
National General Features
Fast online quote and policy purchase process
Stranded motorist help
National General Motor Club
Who is National General best suited for?
Those who love their discounts
Who shouldn’t use National General?
If you like to use an app to manage a policy
If you place high value on customer service
Pros & Cons
- Car valet service. If you find yourself in an accident or stranded, National General offers a car valet service that picks up your damaged vehicle and then brings you a rental car after a claim. Once your vehicle is repaired, they deliver it to you and return the rental car for you. This service is also available for those who have a DUI/DWI on their record.
- Insurance for those with a DUI/DWI. National General insurers will not automatically drop policyholders' coverage or refuse to insure you even if you have one DUI/DWI on your driving record. Your premiums may increase and you have to enroll in a Safe Driving Course, but National General works with you even if your record is less-than-perfect.
- Satisfaction guarantee. Another interesting offer from National General is their Satisfaction Guarantee. If you’re unhappy with your claims service, part of your deductible (up to $250) will be waived.
- No app for convenience. If you like being able to file a claim, request roadside assistance, or have your policy through an app then you may want to look elsewhere. We should note however, you can access your policy information online at any time.
- Mixed customer service reviews. The reviews speak for themselves. If you want an insurance company with high customer satisfaction ratings, there are other options with more impressive reviews.
National General vs. competitors
|Carrier||J.D. Power Rating||A.M. Best Rating||Discounts Available|
The bottom line
Reclaim Up to $610/Year in Car Insurance
Here’s the thing: your current car insurance company is probably overcharging you. But, who has the time to look around for around a new company?
A website called CarInsurance.net makes it super easy to see if you’re getting the lowest price. All you have to do is enter your ZIP code and your age, and it’ll show you your options.
Using CarInsurance.net, people have saved up to $610 a year.
It takes just a few minutes to see how much CarInsurance.net could put back in your pocket. And the best part? Because we’re driving less, some insurers are slashing prices this month.