Auto-Owners Auto Insurance Review: Features, Pros & Cons, and Costs
Auto-Owners is a well-established auto insurance carrier offering you an array of insurance products for auto, home, life, or your business and farm. If the wide range of insurance products isn’t enough to pique your interest, you might be intrigued by the number of strong customer service ratings and the extraordinary financial strength of Auto-Owners.
- What is Auto-Owners?
- How does Auto-Owners work?
- How much does Auto-Owners insurance cost?
- Pros & cons
- Auto-Owners vs. competitors
What is Auto-Owners?
Headquartered in Lansing, Michigan, Auto-Owners Insurance Group offers a wide range of insurance products including auto insurance, homeowners insurance, and life insurance. Having been in operation since 1916, Auto-Owners is dedicated to the use of an agent network. With over 48,000 independent agents and 3,600 offices across 26 states, Auto-Owners continues to rely solely on their insurance agents for quotes and policy writing.
Auto-Owners may not be as well known as other car insurance carriers we see daily on our television screens, but don’t let this fool you. Auto-Owners is one of the largest insurance providers, writing over 3 million policies per year. In addition to a large number of written policies, the financial strength is equally notable — Auto-Owners has an A++ Superior rating with AM Best and is a Fortune 500 company.
How does Auto-Owners work?
Like all other insurers, first you need to obtain a quote and then you can finalize your policy. With Auto-Owners, the company works through an exclusive agency network, so you can only finalize the details of your policy and premiums with your local agent. There is no option to buy online or direct with customer service.
Auto-Owners insurance company offers the standard auto insurance policy coverages, including:
- Bodily injury and property damage liability
- Medical payments
- Personal injury protection (PIP)
- Uninsured and underinsured motorist
There are optional coverages you can add such as rental car reimbursement and road trouble service to further complete your policy needs.
How much does Auto-Owners insurance cost?
Auto-Owners doesn’t provide any quote information online or if you reach out directly to their customer service representatives. You need to work with an agent for your customized quote.
Remember, your premiums depend on a wide number of factors, including insurance coverage options and deductibles, as well as your demographics. Be ready to get a quote based on:
- Marital status
- Driving history
- Credit score
- Vehicle type
- Deductible amounts
- Coverage amounts
As you’re working with an agent, make sure you ask about all available discounts. Auto-Owners offers a large number of discounts — more than most other auto insurance carriers — allowing you to further reduce your premiums.
Features of Auto-Owners
Auto-Owners has a great number of features that customers have been taking advantage of for years.
Specialty coverage options
If you’re looking for a way to customize your policy, you might like the number of specialty coverage options.
- GAP coverage. If you purchase a new car and you owe more than the car is worth after it’s totaled in an accident. This coverage pays the difference in amounts.
- Additional expense. This includes a rental car and other costs associated with not having your car due to an accident.
- Road trouble service. Emergency services such as lockout, dead battery, or towing.
- Personal Automobile Plus Package. This is an extra package that includes ten additional coverages at a reduced rate. Additional coverages include options such as identity theft protection and cell phone replacement.
- Diminished value. If your car is in an accident it can diminish the resale value. This coverage pays you to make sure you’re fully compensated for the true value.
Multiple discounts available
One of the best perks of being an Auto-Owner’s policyholder is the access to numerous discounts. With as many as are available, you should be able to get your policy in line with your budget. The discounts available are:
- Life-multi policy, if you have a life insurance policy with them as well
- Payment discount if you’ve paid on time for at least 36 months
- Paid-in-full if you pay your annual premium at once
- Paperless enrollment
- Advance quote
- Safety features such as anti-theft and anti-lock brake system
- Favorable loss history
- Good student discount
- Teen driver monitoring
- Student away at school
- Higher deductibles can reduce your premiums
- Common loss deductible
If you have comprehensive coverage for your auto policy and also have a homeowner’s policy through Auto-Owners, you can use a common loss deductible. This is used when your car and house are damaged due to the same event, such as a hail storm or fire. Auto-Owners reduces the auto deductible by the amount of the personal property deductible. The deductible may be waived completely if the auto deductible is less than the personal property deductible.
Enhanced collision coverage
Another feature that is truly unique to Auto-Owners is your collision deductible is waived if you’re in an accident with another Auto-Owner’s policy holder. Additionally, if your car is damaged due to an animal (like a deer running in front of your car), Auto-Owners either pays from your collision or comprehensive coverage — whichever benefits you more. These are both enhancements you typically can’t find with other insurance companies.
Who is Auto-Owners insurance for?
If you’re shopping for auto insurance, you should seriously consider Auto-Owners, especially if you:
Prefer working with an agent
If you like someone walking you through all your options and policy details, then you’ll like the strong agent network Auto-Owners uses.
You want a company with strong customer service ratings
Auto-Owners scores well in several areas related to customer service. Here are a handful of their impressive customer service ratings:
- Ranked third overall for the JD Power 2020 U.S. Auto Claims Satisfaction Survey
- Ranked fifth overall for the JD Power 2019 U.S. Auto Claims Satisfaction Survey, earning three out of five with the Power Circle Rating
- NAIC Consumer Complaint Index is almost non-existent for number of complaints.
- Auto-Owners is both accredited by the BBB and has earned a stellar A+ rating
You like digital assets
Although you can’t get a quote online or via an app, Auto-Owners does have an app to manage your policy. You can easily check your claim status, pay your bill, even request road trouble assistance. You can use the website for all these tasks as well.
Who shouldn’t use Auto-Owners
Auto-Owners might not be appropriate for everyone. Here’s who should look elsewhere for their auto insurance policy:
If you don’t live in one of the 26 states serviced.
Auto-Owners is only available in 26 states. Auto-Owners writes policies in the following locations:
AL, AR, AZ, CO, FL, GA, IA, ID, IL, IN, KS, KY, MA, ME, MI, MN, MO, NC, ND, NE, NH, OH, PA, SC, SD, TN, UT, VA, VT, WI
Pros & cons
Auto-Owners has strong customer service ratings, along with powerful financial strength. The only drawbacks to working with Auto-Owners are that you’re limited to the 26 states and you’re forced to work with an agent for almost everything.
Auto-Owners vs. competitors
How does Auto-Owners stack up against all the other big names we are so familiar with?
|Carrier||J.D. Power Rating||A.M. Best Rating||Discounts available||Average annual premium*|
|Country Financial||5/5||A+||Yes||Not Available|
*Based on drivers in their thirties
Is Auto-Owners a good insurance company?
All indications are Auto-Owners has an exceptional reputation and the financial strength to match. Because of the wide variety of coverage options and discounts, it’s worth taking a serious look at Auto-Owners — assuming you live in a state where the coverage is offered.
My quote is still a little high, how can I lower my premiums?
If you can’t get your premiums to a level you’re comfortable with, then you still have a few options. Make sure you:
- Review coverage options and remove extra ones that are only for convenience.
- Review every discount available line by line to ensure you’re considered for every discount available.
- Consider raising your deductible. The lower the deductible, the higher your premiums. The only word of caution is to have the money in savings so you can cover your deductible amount.
The bottom line
When it comes to auto insurance, you’ll be hard-pressed to find another company with as solid financial and customer ratings as Auto-Owners. The only downside to using this company is having to work with an agent (which may be a positive depending on your point of view). Not to mention it’s limited availability across the nation. But if these are two obstacles you can overcome, Auto-Owners should be added to the top of your list for consideration as you purchase an auto insurance policy.
For more information visit www.auto-owners.com.
|6101 Anacapri Blvd., Lansing, MI 48917||Roadside Assistance 888-869-2642||P.O. Box 74012, Cincinnati, OH 45274-0312|