USAA Auto Insurance — Providing Outstanding Coverage and Service to Military Families
- What is USAA?
- How does USAA work?
- How much does USAA cost?
- Features of the USAA auto insurance policy
- Who is USAA for?
- Who shouldn’t use USAA?
- Pros and cons
- USAA vs. competitors
- The bottom line
What is USAA?
How does USAA work?
- Collision coverage
- Comprehensive coverage
- Bodily injury and property damage liability coverage
- Medical payments
- Personal injury protection (PIP)
- Uninsured and underinsured motorist
How much does USAA cost?
- Marital status
- Driving record
- Credit score
- Vehicle type
- Amount of deductible
- Insurance coverage and add-on options
Examples of premium costs
- Bodily Injury: $25k/$50k
- Property Damage: $20k
- Uninsured Motorist Bodily Injury: $25k/$50k
- Bodily Injury: $100k/$300k
- Property Damage: $50k
- Uninsured Motorist Bodily Injury: $100k/$300k
- Collision Deductible: $1k
- Comprehensive Deductible: $1k
Ways to lower your premiums
- Raise your deductible: Your deductible is the amount you pay out of pocket before your insurance kicks in. If you have a low deductible, such as $250 or $500, your rates are higher. Consider raising your deductible to $1,000, which can save you an additional 15 to 30%, according to the Insurance Information Institute.
- Improve your credit score: Although not a short-term solution, the higher your credit score, the lower your rates. As you work on improving your credit, make sure this is factored into your insurance premiums.
Features of the USAA auto insurance policy
- Roadside Assistance: If you're stranded, this option gets you back on the road or provides towing of your vehicle. Also includes services to unlock your car, deliver gas, or change a tire.
- Car rental reimbursement: Pays for a rental car (up to the class you choose) while your vehicle is being repaired if it’s in the shop for a covered insurance claim.
- Accident Forgiveness: This optional coverage is offered for free after five years if you or your household hasn't had an at-fault accident.
- Car Replacement Assistance: If your vehicle is declared a total loss then this benefit would include an additional 20% of the actual cash value of the vehicle from the settlement of your claim.
- Guaranteed renewal: Once a member of USAA, you’ll remain a member for life as long as you pay your premiums.
- Rideshare coverage: USAA provides this additional coverage for your existing USAA policy if you drive for a company such as Uber or Lyft.
Range of discounts available
- Driver training
- Defensive driving course
- Good student
- New vehicle
- Annual Mileage
- Vehicle storage
- Military installation
- Plus car rental and travel discounts for members
Access to digital assets
Outstanding customer service support
Who is USAA for?
Who shouldn’t use USAA?
Pros and cons
- Financial strength. All the benefits and options listed for USAA members wouldn’t be possible without strong financial backing. Fortunately, USAA has the strength and stability to serve its members well. USAA receives a Superior A++ financial rating from the AM Best company. In addition to the Exceptional Aaa from Moody's Investors Service and Very Strong AA+ from Standard & Poor's rating.
- Understands the unique needs of current and former servicemembers. Since USAA was founded by service members, the company understands the individual needs of each military family. For instance, there are reduced rates if you or a family member is deployed and your car will be parked for several months. USAA also offers financial assistance and transitioning services as your military career takes you down new paths.
- Digital assets. USAA offers multiple options for convenience, from the 24/7 customer service line, to the full-service website and mobile app. All three options allow you to make changes to your policy, file a claim, and general policy management.
- Requirements. Unless you meet the criteria mentioned above, you won’t be eligible for an auto policy with USAA.
- No live agent or local agent network or local branches. If you need to discuss any policy-related issues or quotes, you have to work online, through the app, or call the general customer service number.
USAA vs. competitors
|Carrier||JD Power Score||AM Best Financial Rating||Discounts offered||Average annual premiums|
The bottom line
Reclaim Up to $610/Year in Car Insurance
Here’s the thing: your current car insurance company is probably overcharging you. But, who has the time to look around for around a new company?
A website called CarInsurance.net makes it super easy to see if you’re getting the lowest price. All you have to do is enter your ZIP code and your age, and it’ll show you your options.
Using CarInsurance.net, people have saved up to $610 a year.
It takes just a few minutes to see how much CarInsurance.net could put back in your pocket. And the best part? Because we’re driving less, some insurers are slashing prices this month.